This following post is actually taken from my Tumblr from a few years ago. My nail polish collection has continued to grow and can’t actually fit in this whole rack. Whoops. However, I still find that this is a fun, inexpensive DIY storage option for those with many nail polishes. Hope this helps you.
Tuesday Night Activity – DIY Nail Polish Rack for under $5
After watching several videos on YouTube last night, I got super inspired to turn my mess of a collection into this pretty awesome rack – and it’s super inexpensive!! I personally needed just the boards (3) and duct tape (2). Lucky for me I found all of them at the dollar store half a block from my house.
My cost: $0.99 x 5 = $4.95 + tax.
I was a little apprehensive when I first saw a tutorial for it on YouTube. But this little bugger is sturdy as heck! I’m definitely NOT a crafty person, so I’m pleased with how this came out.
[Stores approximately 90 polishes, ~15 each shelf]
Tools you need:
3 – 20″ x 30″ foam board
Glue gun and glue sticks
Exacto knife or any kind of blade
Duct tape (of your choice, if desired)
- Draw lines across Board #1 5-inches apart (total of 5 lines) – this will be where you glue the shelves onto
- Create seven 2″ x 20″ strips withBoard #2 – makes shelves
- Create seven 1″ x 20″ strips with Board #2 – makes shelf ends
- Create two 2.5″ x 30″ strips with Board #3 – makes sides
- Optional wrap desired strips with duct tape (videos I watched only wrapped the shelf ends. I did all of them.)
- Hot glue gun all the pieces together – starting with the shelves, then the sides, and lastly the shelf ends.
- Make sure to add a layer of glue to the bottom of each shelf for extra support.